Marathon Petroleum Foundation, Inc.
The Marathon Petroleum Foundation strategically focuses its community investments on three core areas where it can make a positive, measurable impact: science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education, environmental conservation/sustainability and public safety.
Community support is a founding principle of the Marathon Petroleum Corporation. We serve our communities most effectively when we focus on those areas where we can offer not only financial support but also the benefit of our specialist expertise and experience. Our chosen sectors are: science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education; environmental conservation/sustainability; and public safety by providing training and equipment to support emergency first responders.
In uncertain times, like the evolving COVID-19 disease outbreak, we support initiatives that accelerate a return to our regular daily lives and therefore invite applications for charitable grants in one of these sectors. Please click here to learn more and submit a grant proposal.
From engineers to pipefitters, chemists to accountants, IT specialists to welders, MPC’s success relies on our ability to recruit and retain employees with exceptional STEM-related skills. Our goal is to invest in STEM-related initiatives that better prepare middle school, high school and career/technical education students for professional and academic success by increasing access to high-quality educational resources and instruction.
Environmental Conservation and Sustainability
Consistent with our commitment to protecting the environment is supporting community programs involving conservation and sustainability. MPC supports government agencies; environmental and community groups; and trade, professional and industry associations devoted to efforts that protect, conserve and sustain our environmental resources. These efforts may include recycling initiatives, clean-ups, educational programs, the construction of nature trails and research projects.
Health and safety is a core value at MPC. We are committed to operating our operations in a manner that promotes the health and safety of our employees and customers, and we are focused on making our communities stronger, safer places to live, work and play.
We provide funding, equipment and support to first responders, government agencies and community-based organizations to increase the overall safety of the communities where we operate. Preference is given to projects and organizations that help communities better prepare for, mitigate the risks of and respond to disasters, hazards and emergencies.
How to Apply
MPC receives numerous requests for support each year, but can respond positively to only a small percentage. Our preference is to support programs and projects with measurable outcomes that are most closely aligned with our community investment strategy and focus areas, and that serve the communities where we have a significant presence.
To be eligible to receive charitable support from MPC or the Marathon Petroleum Foundation, organizations must be both:
- Incorporated in the United States
- Recognized as a nonprofit organization by the Internal Revenue Service under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code or as part of a federal, state, local or tribal government as provided by Section 170(c)(1) of the Code
Neither MPC nor the Marathon Petroleum Foundation will make charitable contributions to any of the following:
- For-profit entities
- Political parties, candidates and organizations
- Fraternal, labor, athletic, alumni and social organizations and their related foundations
- Chambers of commerce and other business leagues or organizations
- Private foundations and foundations classified as supporting organizations by the IRS
- Organizations that do not comply with the USA Patriot Act
- Churches, mosques, synagogues or other houses of worship and related ecumenical groups
- Organizations that discriminate against others based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religious preference, mental and/or physical abilities, marital or parental status, military-veteran status or any other status or condition protected by law
- All requests for support must be submitted via MPC’s online application process.
- Every eligible organization will be required to submit a full grant application summarizing their request. The grant application may be completed in partnership with a representative of Marathon Petroleum but the application itself must be completed and submitted to the Foundation portal by the recipient organization.
- MPC may approve or decline requests based on the information contained within the grant application.
- Requests are reviewed on an ongoing basis.
- Large requests may take additional time to review and involve a site visit.
Support is provided by MPC and the MPC Foundation on a competitive basis based, in part, on the following criteria:
- Alignment with the MPC’s philanthropic mission and focus areas (i.e., science, technology, engineering and mathematics [STEM] education, public safety and environmental conservation and sustainability)
- Mission, history and accomplishments of organization
- Financial strength and solvency of the organization
- Clarity, reasonableness and potential impact of the proposal’s goals, objectives and activities to achieve the projected outcomes and address the need(s) behind the request
- Ability of the organization to leverage MPC’s dollars to secure additional resources
How to Apply
To start a new application, please click the button below and follow the instructions located on the application homepage.