Renewable Fuels Portfolio
At Marathon Petroleum, we are sharpening our focus on meeting the world's energy needs while lowering the carbon intensity of our operations and the products we manufacture. Our approach to sustainability includes increasing the volume of renewable fuels we produce and market, seeking ways to expand use of renewable energy in our operations, and innovating and deploying emerging technologies that reduce environmental impact while enhancing business performance.
- Project: Converted petroleum refinery into renewable diesel facility
- Location: Dickinson, North Dakota
- Fuel: Renewable diesel and naphtha
- Capacity: Approximately 184 million gallons per year
- Timeline: Became fully operational in 2021 as the second largest facility of its kind in the United States
- Project: Converting Martinez Refinery into a renewable fuels facility
- Location: Martinez, California
- Ownership: 50/50 joint venture partnership with Neste
- Fuels: Renewable diesel and other renewable fuels
- Capacity: Approximately 730 million gallons per year
- Timeline: Initial production capacity expected to be 260 million gallons per year with ramp up to full capacity by the end of 2023
Project: Converted biodiesel plant into a pretreatment facility
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Fuel: Supplies agricultural feedstocks to our Dickinson Renewable Diesel Facility
Timeline: Purchased as a biodiesel facility in 2014 and began operations as a pretreatment facility in early 2022
- Project: Purchased in 2020 to operate as a terminal and pretreatment center for agricultural feedstocks
- Location: Beatrice, Nebraska
- Fuel: Supplies agricultural feedstocks to our Dickinson Renewable Diesel Facility
- Capacity: Approximately 58 million gallons per year
- Timeline: Began operations in early 2021
- Project: A joint venture with The Andersons to produce ethanol
- Locations: Albion, Michigan; Clymers, Indiana; Greenville, Ohio; and Denison, Iowa
- Fuel: Ethanol biofuel
- Capacity: Approximately 475 million gallons per year
- Timeline: Joint venture effective Oct. 1, 2019, strengthened and extended the companies’ long-time partnership
Project: A wholly owned subsidiary with proprietary BioForming® technology for converting bio-based sugars into renewable, drop-in fuels and chemicals
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Fuel: Virent’s biofuels (gasoline, jet, diesel) can be blended and used within existing infrastructure and supply chains, and its bio-chemicals can be used in existing chemical manufacturing processes to produce sustainable plastics, fibers and films.
- Project: Built the first dedicated soybean processing plant in North Dakota
- Location: Spiritwood, North Dakota
- Ownership: Joint venture with ADM
- Fuel: Supplies refined soybean oil to MPC as feedstock for renewable diesel production.
- Capacity: Approximately 600 million pounds per year to support annual production of a targeted 75 million gallons of renewable diesel
- Timeline: Construction broke ground in June 2022, and the facility came online in the fall of 2023
Project: Acquired a 49.9% interest in LF Bioenergy, an emerging producer of renewable natural gas (RNG)
Locations: Developing a portfolio of RNG production facilities on U.S. dairy farms, including the first facility in Lawrence, New York, that began operating in 2023
Fuel: Renewable natural gas
Capacity: Planned portfolio’s production capacity has the potential to reach over 6,500 MMBtu per day by the end of 2026
Timeline: Interest acquisition announced in March 2023 as part of an agreement that included the potential for additional investment
Marathon brand and ARCO gas stations are across the U.S. and Northern Mexico so that you can stay fueled and on the road to where you're going.
We operate the nation's largest refining system with approximately 2.9 million barrels per calendar day of crude oil refining capacity across 13 refineries.
We offer a variety of industrial petroleum-based products. From asphalt to petrochemicals, we have everything you need to fuel your business.