Apply for a Grant
MPC receives numerous requests for support each year but can respond positively to only a small percentage. Our preference is to support programs and projects with measurable outcomes that are most closely aligned with our community investment strategy and focus areas, and that serve the communities where we have a significant presence.
To be eligible to receive charitable support from MPC, organizations must be both:
- Incorporated in the United States
- Recognized as a nonprofit organization by the Internal Revenue Service under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code or as part of a federal, state, local or tribal government as provided by Section 170(c)(1) of the Code
MPC will not make charitable contributions to any of the following:
- For-profit entities
- Political parties, candidates and organizations
- Fraternal, labor, athletic, alumni and social organizations and their related foundations
- Chambers of commerce and other business leagues or organizations
- Private foundations and foundations classified as supporting organizations by the IRS
- Organizations that do not comply with the USA Patriot Act
- Churches, mosques, synagogues or other houses of worship and related ecumenical groups
- Organizations that discriminate against others based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religious preference, mental and/or physical abilities, marital or parental status, military-veteran status or any other status or condition protected by law
- All requests for support must be submitted via MPC’s online application process.
- Every eligible organization will be required to submit a full grant application summarizing their request. The grant application may be completed in partnership with a representative of Marathon Petroleum but the application itself must be completed and submitted to the application portal by the recipient organization.
- MPC may approve or decline requests based on the information contained within the grant application.
- Requests are reviewed on an ongoing basis.
- Large requests may take additional time to review and involve a site visit.
Support is provided by MPC on a competitive basis based, in part, on the following criteria:
- Alignment with the MPC’s philanthropic mission and focus areas (i.e., workforce development, sustainability and thriving communities)
- Mission, history and accomplishments of organization
- Financial strength, solvency of the organization and delivery of results for any previous MPC support.
- Clarity, reasonableness and potential impact of the proposal’s goals, objectives and activities to achieve the projected outcomes and address the need(s) behind the request
- Ability of the organization to leverage MPC’s dollars to secure additional resources
How to Apply
To start a new application, please click the button below and follow the instructions located on the application homepage.