Our Salt Lake City refinery began operations in 1908 and is now the largest refinery in Utah with a total crude oil refining capacity of 61,000 barrels per calendar day (bpcd).
The Salt Lake City refinery processes crude oil from Utah, Colorado and Wyoming to manufacture gasoline, distillates, propane and heavy fuel oil. These products are distributed by truck through a system of terminals and by pipelines.
Health, Safety and Environment
At MPC, the health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern. We take steps to ensure an accident-free, incident-free workplace no matter where it is. Due to that commitment, we've implemented safety measures and been recognized as a leader in safety.
At the same time, we are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. As such, we are involved in multiple programs, support several organizations and implement various initiatives that aim to protect our environment and the local communities in which we operate.
Below is a list of accolades and accomplishments that we've earned at our Salt Lake City refinery.
- Expansion project completed in 2015 retooled the refinery to process more Utah waxy crude, which has less sulfur, resulting in lower refinery emissions and higher quality lower sulfur fuel
- Started new project to produce lower sulfur Tier 3 gasoline that will be completed in 2019
- Received a 2016 Award for Meritorious Safety Performance from American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers
- Received a 2016 Award of Merit from the Utah Safety Council
- Employees participate in behavior-based safety program (STEPP)
At Marathon Petroleum, we know that community is important. It's why we do what we do every day. So, aside from fueling the Salt Lake City area, we also make it a priority to be actively involved in efforts that have a positive impact on the community. Listed below are some of the ways that we do just that.
- Invested over $1.8 million in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), environment and public safety programs in the Rocky Mountain Region in 2018
- Established partnerships and programs with the STEM Action Center and Junior Achievement to provide hands-on STEM education experiences. Both programs reach thousands of students each year.
- Provide support and leadership for multiple charitable and civic organizations in the Salt Lake Valley
- Serve as corporate sponsor of the annual Rose Park and Capitol Hill Community Festivals
- Partner with Salt Lake County Health Department to fund repairs, based on financial need, to emissions control equipment on vehicles that fail emissions testing