Our Robinson refinery is in Crawford County in southeastern Illinois and has a crude oil refining capacity of 245,000 barrels per calendar day (bpcd). The refinery was built in 1906 and purchased by MPC in 1924.
The Robinson refinery processes sweet and sour crude oils into gasoline, distillates, propane, anode-grade coke, fuel-grade coke and aromatics. Products are distributed by pipeline, transport truck and rail.
Health, Safety and Environment
At MPC, the health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern. We take steps to ensure an accident-free, incident-free workplace no matter where it is. Due to that commitment, we've implemented safety measures and been recognized as a leader in safety.
At the same time, we are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. As such, we are involved in multiple programs, support several organizations and implement various initiatives that aim to protect our environment and the local communities in which we operate.
Below is a list of accolades and accomplishments that we've earned at our Robinson refinery.
- 2016-2017: Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Award from the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center
- 2015 Monarch Sustainer of the Year Award from the United States Business Council for Sustainable Development and the Pollinator Partnership
- 2015 Southern Illinois Occupational Safety and Health Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety
- 2014-2016, 2018: Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR certification
- Five Wildlife Habitat Council certified sites
- 2014 Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Program Participants’ Association (VPPPA) National Innovation Award
- 2013 Outstanding Behavior Based Safety Outreach Award
- 2013 and 2015: OSHA VPPPA National Safety and Health Outreach Award
- 2013 VPPPA Regional Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Outreach Award
- 2007-2018: Responsible Care® Management System certification
- 2018-Present RC14001® Management System Certification
- 2005-present: Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies (CCBS) - Behavioral Safety Accreditation and 2015 inaugural CCBS Platinum Accreditation
- 1999-present: OSHA VPP Star Site
- American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers Safety Awards
At Marathon Petroleum, we know that community is important. It's why we do what we do every day. So, aside from fueling the Robinson area, we also make it a priority to be actively involved in efforts that have a positive impact on the community. Listed below are some of the ways that we do just that.
- FIND Your Career Day
- United Way of Crawford County
- Local Chambers of Commerce (Robinson, Oblong, Palestine, Hutsonville)
- Leadership Crawford County
- Community Household Hazardous Waste Day
- Community Electronics Takeback Day
- Education programs at Certified Wildlife Habitat sites in Crawford County
- Community Advisory Panel
- Mutual aid for fire and other emergencies
- Emergency response drills with local emergency responders
- Humane Society Dog Show
- Nutrition on Weekends
- University of Illinois Conservation Day
- Harmony Park
- Meals on Wheels
- Crawford County CEO