Robinson Refinery Home | Refinery Status | Community Engagement
Our Robinson refinery is in Crawford County in southeastern Illinois and has a crude oil refining capacity of 253,000 barrels per calendar day (bpcd). It was built in 1906 and purchased by MPC in 1924. For more than two decades the Robinson refinery has earned designation as an OSHA VPP Star site. The refinery processes sweet and sour crude oils into gasoline, distillates, feedstocks, propane, petrochemicals and heavy fuel oil. Products are distributed by pipeline, transport truck and rail. Our people are passionate about what they do and how they do it. In addition to manufacturing products that are critical to modern life, we are committed to supporting our neighbors and strengthening our community through contributions, partnerships and volunteerism.
Health, Safety and Environment
At MPC, the health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern. We take steps to ensure an accident-free, incident-free workplace no matter where it is. Due to that commitment, we've implemented safety measures and been recognized as a leader in safety. At the same time, we are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. As such, we are involved in multiple programs, support several organizations and implement various initiatives that aim to protect our environment and the local communities in which we operate.
Below is a list of accolades and accomplishments that we've earned at our Robinson refinery.
- OSHA VPP Star site since 1999
- 2020 AFPM Distinguished Safety Award
- 2014-2016, 2018-2021: Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR certification
- 2019 Platinum BBS Accreditation from Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies (CCBS)
- 2019 and 2015 Monarch Sustainer of the Year Award from the Pollinator Partnership
- 2018 Wildlife Habitat Council Grasslands Project Award
- 2016-2017: Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Award from the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center
- 2015 Southern Illinois Occupational Safety and Health Governor’s Award for Contributions in Health and Safety
- Four Wildlife Habitat Council certified sites
- 2015 and 2013: OSHA VPPPA National Safety and Health Outreach Award
- 2014 Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Program Participants’ Association (VPPPA) National Innovation Award
- Various safety awards from American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers Association and the National Maintenance Agreements Policy Committee
At Marathon Petroleum, we know that community is critical to our success. It's why we do what we do every day. So, aside from fueling the Robinson area, we also make it a priority to be actively involved in efforts that have a positive impact on the community.
Listed below are some of the ways that we do just that.
- FIND Your Career Day/REAL World/Women in Vocational Careers Event partnerships with area high schools and vocational programs to share MPC vocational career opportunities, offer scholarships, and job shadow opportunities for students.
- United Way of Crawford County Support and Board membership
- Local Chambers of Commerce Memberships (Robinson, Oblong, Palestine, Hutsonville)
- Leadership Crawford County
- Education programs at Certified Wildlife Habitat sites in Crawford County
- Community Advisory Panel
- Mutual aid for fire and other emergencies
- Emergency response drills with local emergency responders
- Nutrition on Weekends at local Crawford County Schools
- National Night Out supporting local law enforcement, fire department, and ERT professionals
- Support for surrounding County Fairs and 4H Projects
- Crawford County L.I.F.E. to advocate for Mental Health Wellness
- Community Swim Day at Robinson City School
- Meals on Wheels
- Crawford County CEO
- Community Summer Programs: LTC College for Kids and N.O.W. Summer Food Program
- Partnership with Crawford County Rec Center
Local Giving Support
Request charitable support up to $5,000.
Large Grant Request
Request community investment support over $5,000.
During a recent upgrade at Marathon Petroleum’s Robinson, Illinois, refinery, employees and contractors worked together to successfully install a new Fluid Catalytic Cracking Unit (FCCU) Reactor, weighing in at nearly one million pounds.
Latest NewsSee all Robinson News
EPA honors Marathon Petroleum for sustained excellence in ENERGY STAR® program
Business Newssustainability, Environment, Energy Star, Anacortes, Washington, Canton, ohio, detroit, michigan, garyville, Louisiana, Robinson, Illinois, Detroit, Garyville, St. Paul Park, El Paso, Galveston Bay, Minnesota, Catlettsburg, Mandan, Kenai, Los Angeles, Galveston Bay, Salt Lake City Read More
In Pictures: Holiday giving at MPC
Community NewsFoundation, People, Anacortes, Washington, Canton, Ohio, Los Angeles, California, Catlettsburg, Kentucky, Robinson, Illinois, Detroit, Michigan, Galveston, Texas, Garyville, LouisianaRead More