Our Garyville refinery is located along the Mississippi River in southeastern Louisiana between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. It has a crude oil refining capacity of 564,000 barrels per calendar day (bpcd). The Garyville refinery is located on former San Francisco Plantation property, designated a National Historic Landmark.
The Garyville refinery is configured to process a wide variety of crude oils into gasoline, distillates, fuel-grade coke, asphalt, polymer-grade propylene, propane, refinery-grade propylene, dry gas, slurry and sulfur. Products at the refinery are transported by pipeline, barge, transport truck, rail and ocean tanker. The refinery has access to the export market and multiple options to sell refined products. A major expansion project was completed in 2009 that increased Garyville’s crude oil refining capacity, making it one of the largest refineries in the U.S.
Health, Safety and Environment
At MPC, the health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern. We take steps to ensure an accident-free, incident-free workplace no matter where it is. Due to that commitment, we've implemented safety measures and been recognized as a leader in safety.
At the same time, we are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. As such, we are involved in multiple programs, support several organizations and implement various initiatives that aim to protect our environment and the local communities in which we operate.
Below is a list of accolades and accomplishments that we've earned at our Garyville refinery.
- 2016 Environmental Leadership Award from the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality
- 1994-present: Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Program Star Site
- Only refinery accepted into the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Voluntary Early Reduction Program for Air Toxics under the Clean Air Act
- 1996-present: 23 Governor’s Environmental Leadership Awards
- Emergency response drills with local emergency responders
- 2006-2016: U.S. EPA ENERGY STAR facility
- 2017 Conservation Certification
At Marathon Petroleum, we know that community is important. It's why we do what we do every day. So, aside from fueling the Anacortes area, we also make it a priority to be actively involved in efforts that have a positive impact on the community. Listed below are some of the ways that we do just that.
- Educational Partners with all local K-12 schools providing monetary and mentoring support in St. John the Baptist Parish
- Largest fundraiser for St. John the Baptist Parish United Way
- United Negro College Fund Walk for Education
- Community Advisory Panel
- Title Sponsor for St. John the Baptist Parish’s Andouille Festival
- Louisiana State University eXploration Camp Inspiring Tomorrow’s Engineers
- Combat Marines Golf Tournament
- Supplied area families in need with turkeys on Thanksgiving
- Organize and sponsor the annual Household Hazardous Material Collection day in the River Parishes
- Donated 1,000 school supply kits to community
- LSU Summer Scholars program
- Hosted career fair for all seventh graders in St. John Parish public schools
- Dual enrollment program with River Parishes Community College and East St. John High School