Our Galveston Bay refinery is in Texas City, Texas, on Galveston Bay, off the entrance to the Houston Ship Channel. In 2018, Galveston Bay merged with MPC’s former Texas City refinery into a single world class refining complex with a crude oil refining capacity of 593,000 barrels per calendar day (bpcd).
The refinery can process a wide variety of crude oils into into gasoline, distillates, natural gas liquids and petrochemicals, heavy fuel oil and propane. Products are distributed via pipeline, barge, transport truck, rail and ocean tanker. The refinery has access to the export market and multiple options to sell refined products.
An on-site co-generation facility currently has 1,055 megawatts of electrical production capacity and can produce 4.3 million pounds of steam per hour. Approximately 45 percent of the power generated in 2018 was used at the refinery, with the remaining electricity being sold into the electricity grid.
Health, Safety and Environment
At MPC, the health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern. We take steps to ensure an accident-free, incident-free workplace no matter where it is. Due to that commitment, we've implemented safety measures and been recognized as a leader in safety.
At the same time, we are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. As such, we are involved in multiple programs, support several organizations and implement various initiatives that aim to protect our environment and the local communities in which we operate.
Below is a list of accolades and accomplishments that we've earned at our Galveston Bay refinery.
- 2022 Innovation Award – American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers
- 2018: Integrated MESA Behavior Based Safety Program across refinery
- 2014-present: Behavior Based Safety Program certified by the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies
- 2013-present: Site safety enhancements and improved emergency response capabilities
- 2009-present: RC14001® certified, 2013 and 2015 RC14001 recertification
- Three Wildlife Habitat Council certified sites with another being added in 2019
- Texan By Nature certified site
- Simply Have Areas Reserved for the Environment (SHARE) Pollinator Partner
- 2009-2014: Texas Chemical Council Excellence in Caring for Texas Award for commitment in community awareness, emergency response, pollution prevention and security
- 2010-2014: Houston Business Roundtable Safety Excellence Award for outstanding performance in promoting and improving contractor safety
At Marathon Petroleum, we know that community is important. It's why we do what we do every day. So, aside from fueling the Texas City area, we also make it a priority to be actively involved in efforts that have a positive impact on the community. Listed below are some of the ways that we do just that.
- Texas City-La Marque Community Advisory Council
- United Way Galveston County Mainland annual employee campaign and charitable golf and fishing tournaments
- Scholarships for College of the Mainland
- Education foundations for Clear Creek, Dickinson, Galveston, Santa Fe and Texas City school districts
- Communities in School
- Ronald McDonald House-Galveston
- Gulf Coast Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Senior Share of Galveston County
- Galveston County Fair and Rodeo
- Bay Area Habitat for Humanity
- Independence Village
- Galveston County Food Bank
Latest NewsSee all Galveston Bay News
Marathon Petroleum refineries receive AFPM safety awards
Business NewsSafety, Award, Anacortes, Washington, El Paso, Texas, Galveston Bay, Texas Read More
Marathon Petroleum earns CCO Gold Employer Award
Business NewsSafety, Award, Business News, Anacortes, Canton, Catlettsburg, Detroit, El Paso, Galveston Bay, Garyville, Kenai, LA, Mandan, Robinson, Salt Lake City, St. Paul Park, Los AngelesRead More