Our Detroit refinery is located in southwest Detroit and has a crude oil refining capacity of 140,000 barrels per calendar day (bpcd). The Detroit refinery processes sweet and heavy sour crude oils into gasoline, distillates, asphalt, fuel-grade coke, chemical-grade propylene, propane and slurry. Products are distributed via pipeline, transport truck, rail and barge.
In 2012, MPC completed the Detroit Heavy Oil Upgrade Project (DHOUP), which enabled the refinery to process up to an additional 80,000 bpcd of heavy sour crude oils, including Canadian crude oils. Through a property purchase program, MPC purchased many of the residential properties in a neighborhood adjacent to the refinery and maintains the area as a green space available for public use.
Health, Safety and Environment
At MPC, the health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern. We take steps to ensure an accident-free, incident-free workplace no matter where it is. Due to that commitment, we've implemented safety measures and been recognized as a leader in safety.
At the same time, we are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. As such, we are involved in multiple programs, support several organizations and implement various initiatives that aim to protect our environment and the local communities in which we operate.
Below is a list of accolades and accomplishments that we've earned at our Detroit refinery.
- DHOUP expansion completed with a world-class safety record: over four years and 9.6 million man-hours with zero lost-time incidents and only seven minor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recordable injuries
- 2010-present: Michigan OSHA Voluntary Protection Program Star Site
- First refining facility in the world to receive RC14001® certification for its health, environment, safety and security systems
- 2010 American Chemistry Council Energy Efficiency Award
- 2010 and 2012 American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers Distinguished Safety Award
- 2010 Norfolk Southern’s Thoroughbred Chemical Safety Award
- 2007-2012: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR facility
- 2012 Michigan OSHA Platinum Award winner for safety
- 2011-present: Behavior Based Safety Program certified by the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies
- 2017 and 2018 American Association of Railroads - Rail Grand Slam Award
- Maintains a forest habitat certified by the Wildlife Habitat Council
At Marathon Petroleum, we know that community is important. It's why we do what we do every day. So, aside from fueling the Detroit area, we also make it a priority to be actively involved in efforts that have a positive impact on the community. Listed below are some of the ways that we do just that.
- Southwest Detroit Environmental Vision Community Builder Award
- United Way for Southeastern Michigan
- Mark Twain Elementary School Adopt-A-School program
- Friends of the Rouge and Fort-Rouge Gateway Project
- Community Advisory Panel
- Mutual aid for fire and other emergencies
- Emergency response training with city of Detroit and local emergency responders
- Earth Day celebration
- Southwest Detroit Business Association Partner
- Salvation Army bed and bread truck
- Life Remodeled
Latest NewsSee all Detroit News
Our People: Female Operator accepts the challenge
Community NewsDetroit, sustainability, Michigan, safety, peopleRead More
In Pictures: Holiday giving at MPC
Community NewsFoundation, People, Anacortes, Washington, Canton, Ohio, Los Angeles, California, Catlettsburg, Kentucky, Robinson, Illinois, Detroit, Michigan, Galveston, Texas, Garyville, LouisianaRead More