Our Los Angeles refinery is in Los Angeles County, near the Los Angeles Harbor. The Los Angeles refinery is the largest refinery on the West Coast with a crude oil capacity of 363,000 barrels per calendar day (bpcd). A major producer of clean fuels, the refinery processes heavy crude from California’s San Joaquin Valley and Los Angeles Basin, as well as crudes from the Alaska North Slope, South America, West Africa and other
The Los Angeles refinery manufactures cleaner-burning California Air Resources Board (CARB) gasoline and CARB diesel fuel, as well as conventional gasoline, distillates, petroleum coke, anode-grade coke, chemical-grade propylene, fuel-grade coke, heavy fuel oil and propane. The refinery ships products via its connections to several product distribution pipelines and terminals. Its Watson cogeneration plant produces 400 megawatts and is the largest cogeneration facility in California.
Health, Safety and Environment
At MPC, the health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern. We take steps to ensure an accident-free, incident-free workplace no matter where it is. Due to that commitment, we've implemented safety measures and been recognized as a leader in safety.
At the same time, we are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. As such, we are involved in multiple programs, support several organizations and implement various initiatives that aim to protect our environment and the local communities in which we operate.
Below is a list of accolades and accomplishments that we've earned at our Los Angeles refinery.
- Maintains an environmental management system (EMS) to ensure that the facility meets all environmental permit limits and regulatory obligations consistently
- Reducing NOx emissions from combustion equipment
- Reduced flaring emissions greater than 75 percent from seven years ago
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 70,000 metric tonnes through the Los Angeles Integration and Compliance Project in 2018
- Working collaboratively with local air agency to install a fence line air monitoring system that provides real time information about air pollutants by 2020
- Funded three community air monitoring stations that will be installed in Carson and Wilmington in 2019
- Top 25 percent in refining industry personal safety performance
- Received the 2018 and 2017 Safety Achievement Award from American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers
- Received the first LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for an office building in the City of Carson
At Marathon Petroleum, we know that community is important. It's why we do what we do every day. So, aside from fueling the Los Angeles area, we also make it a priority to be actively involved in efforts that have a positive impact on the community. Listed below are some of the ways that we do just that.
- Invested $4.8 million in charitable giving to non-profit organizations across Southern California in 2018
- Provided $175,000 grant to fund the Aquarium of the Pacific “Aquarium on Wheels”
- Provided five-year, $400,000 grant to the American Red Cross of Long Beach and Rio Hondo Chapter to purchase a new bloodmobile vehicle to service Los Angeles County
- Provided $150,000 grant to AltaSea to support ocean-focused science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) teacher training
- Provided $200,000 grant to Los Angeles Unified School District East to install science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) labs at six schools in the city of South Gate
- Sponsor of various youth, government and STEM education programs across Southern California, including multiple Boys and Girls Clubs and YMCA locations