Our Canton refinery is located 60 miles southeast of Cleveland, Ohio, and has a crude oil refining capacity of 93,000 barrels per calendar day (bpcd). In December 2014, the company completed construction of a condensate splitter, which increased the refinery’s capacity to process condensate from the Utica shale region.
The Canton refinery processes sweet and sour crude oils into gasoline, distillates, asphalt, roofing flux, propane, refinery-grade propylene and slurry. Product distribution occurs through pipeline, transport truck and rail.
Health, Safety and Environment
At MPC, the health and safety of our employees is of paramount concern. We take steps to ensure an accident-free, incident-free workplace no matter where it is. Due to that commitment, we've implemented safety measures and been recognized as a leader in safety.
At the same time, we are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. As such, we are involved in multiple programs, support several organizations and implement various initiatives that aim to protect our environment and the local communities in which we operate.
Below is a list of accolades and accomplishments that we've earned at our Canton refinery.
- 2017 Achieved Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Program Star Site and annual assessment completed for 2018
- 2006-2018: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ENERGY STAR facility. This certification has been achieved every year since the inception of EPA’s ENERGY STAR program
- 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012: American Chemistry Council (ACC) Energy Efficiency Award
- 2004, 2007, 2009-2014 and 2018: American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers Award for Safety Achievement
- 2016 Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies Gold Level Certification
- 2009-2017: American Chemistry Council Det Norske Veritas Management System Certificate
- 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009-2018: Stark County Safety Council Special Award
- 2016 Woodlands Wildlife Habitat certified and recertified in 2018
- 2017 Certified for Ohio EPA’s Ohio Encouraging Environmental Excellence Award
At Marathon Petroleum, we know that community is important. It's why we do what we do every day. So, aside from fueling the Canton area, we also make it a priority to be actively involved in efforts that have a positive impact on the community. Listed below are some of the ways that we do just that.
- United Way of Greater Stark County
- United Way of Stark County’s Chair’s Circle Member
- Dueber Elementary School Partnership
- Leadership Stark County
- Mutual aid for fire and other emergencies
- Drills with local emergency responders
- Nimishillen Creek Cleanup Day
- Community Advisory Panel
- Stark State Oil and Gas Advisory Board
- R.G. Drage Oil and Gas Advisory Board
- Veterans Outreach Program
- Christian Children’s Home partner
- Pro Football Hall of Fame partner
- Science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and oil and gas initiatives
- Presentations and tours for student groups, community members, media, government, representatives and agencies