A Culture of Inclusion
We’re committed to being a company where all our people can maximize their full potential and seek the career opportunities they desire, and we know this only happens when our employees, contractors and other stakeholders feel valued for their diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We welcome new ideas, invest in our people, and work to foster a collaborative, inclusive team environment.
To support our commitment to creating a more diverse workforce and to hold ourselves accountable, we set company goals designed to drive our strategy to increase representation of women, Black, Indigenous and people of color in our workforce. We were the first U.S. independent downstream energy company to link executive and employee compensation to DE&I metrics.
A Strategic Approach
Guided by a dedicated DE&I team led by our Vice President Talent Acquisition and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and supported by leadership companywide, our strategy focuses on:
- Building awareness of the benefits of diverse perspectives
- Increasing representation across the organization
- Ensuring success through commitment to ongoing programs that support diverse employees
- Applying measurement and accountability to foster an inclusive work environment with opportunities for all employees to grow and develop
Diversity Focus Areas
- As part of fostering an inclusive and collaborative work environment and to help our people better understand and appreciate each other’s similarities and differences, we regularly host DE&I workshops and employee panels. We also conduct community outreach and participate in community-led diversity celebrations and educational events.
- We actively work to increase the representation of women, minorities and military members in our workforce through targeted external recruitment efforts, military recruitment activities and minority initiatives on college and university campuses.
We know that lasting progress requires ongoing reinforcement and active engagement from our leaders. Our executives invest time in mentoring employees, and we take steps to ensure our career development programs and activities have participation from across the company. We also support several Employee Networks which have grown to significant membership.
Measurement and Accountability
- To support our commitment to creating a more diverse workforce and to hold ourselves accountable, we set company goals designed to drive our strategy to increase representation of women, Black, Indigenous and people of color in our workforce. We link executive and employee compensation to DE&I metrics.
We need diverse perspectives and ideas to continue our success, to create solutions where we face challenges and to shape our future.Fiona C. Laird, Chief Human Resources Officer and Senior Vice President, Communications
Employee Networks provide forums for discussion, development and connection to our communities and play an important role in our DE&I strategy. Open to all employees, these groups support a diverse workforce and inclusive environment. They also connect colleagues from across the company and provide opportunities for personal and professional development, networking and community involvement.
The groups focus on six populations — Asian, Black, Hispanic, Veterans, Women and LGBTQ+. They are led by employees with guidance and active involvement from executive leadership sponsors. All networks encourage ally membership.